Learning is Limitless with Variant
Variant is a learning game series designed to assist students with the intuitive understanding of calculus concepts.
- Immersive 3D world that allows players to manipulate objects by mastering calculus principles and theories, directly connecting the mathematics and gameplay.
- Compelling narrative and a high-stakes adventure providing clear goals and motivation to succeed.
- Intuitive feedback and game interaction allows players to play and explore at their own pace.
- Intelligent game analytics allow instructors to monitor student engagement and provide insight into player progress.
Introduction to limits, one-sided limits, and limits of combined functions.
Limit definition of continuity at a point, continuity of combined functions, and the intermediate value theorem.
Horizontal and vertical asymptotes.
- "Great game! Really loved it and hopefully it can be used in classes! It’s really engaging."
- "As far as the learning aspect goes, it does much better than any other educational video game I've played."
- "I like it when there are games that help students learn, since it is motivating."
- "I really love what you guys are doing, I'll be looking forward to this game when it’s released!"
- "It was awesome!"
Student comments from a national play test
79% of students playing Variant: Limits agreed that the game increased their knowledge of limits.
76% of students playing Variant: Limits said the game was fun and engaging!
The Power of Educational Video Games
- Game-based learning can draw students into a motivating virtual environment.
- Timely in-game feedback motivates and guides learners to continue practicing until they achieve the game’s learning goals.
- Persistence during gameplay may be higher than other forms of educational technology.
- Interactive math games have the potential to enhance acquisition of basic technical skills